Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Etsy Finds - Fit for a Princess...and a little news and reflection

So, yesterday was a long day. My uncle passed away very unexpectedly at age 44 due to a heart attack. He left behind a wife and 6 kids. It was very sad. Their mother was hysterical and crying so my mom brought me the two youngest, Emily (11) and Jesse (13), to spend time at the house with me and my daughter. I don't see them all that often, but when the front door opened, they came running at me with smiles on their faces, exclaiming "Ellie!!" and they each gave me a big long squeezy hug. It melted my heart (and I'm tearing up as I write this). It's so sad that those kids won't have their father :( ... I don't think it's really quite hit them yet. Emily was sitting in an easy chair watching Cheyenne color, and she said, "Your mom says that she's gonna buy me new furniture for my room, because my daddy promised he would get it for me for my birthday. But he can't because you know, he's gone now." I wanted to cry. The way she said it just sounded so helpless.

They told me about their schools (they aren't very good schools - nor is their neighborhood) and what grade they were going into. Emily says she wants to go to a different school - because it's an A+ school. Jesse wants to be a doctor. They kept expressing how much they loved my house and how they wish they could live in a house like this - now let me tell you, the house I live in is nice, but it is NOTHING fancy. I sat there, watching them swing and play with Cheyenne, just wishing I could do something for them, pay for their education, give them a beautiful house, SOMETHING! These kids (all of them) are so sweet, and well-behaved, and loving despite their circumstances, and they have big dreams and aspirations to boot.

As soon as some things get worked out (they may lose their house, we don't know what's going to happen yet), I'm going to start doing research on local charities or maybe even see if abc can do anything like maybe extreme home makeover or one of those "rescue" shows. If anyone reading this has any good ideas or can point me in the right direction PLEASE let me know. Thank you!

Now, what brought me to this theme today for Etsy finds? Well, Emily found out about my etsy shop (she requested a sweet baby pink chalkboard - my specialty!) and she saw my room and she also found out that I love interior design and wanted to go to school for it, so she said, "I want you to design my room!" so I'm going to design a beautiful little room fit for a beautiful little princess :') (I really am teary eyed right now).

Enjoy your day and tell your loved ones that they are just that: loved.



4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and moving post and some gorgeous picks for a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle and my heart hurts for the children that have lost their dad.
    If you think she would like that journal you featured from my shop, email me her address and I would be MORE than happy to send it to her.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Cerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Uncle, I can only imagine what his wife and children are going through. My kids were 6, 8 and 10 when they lost their Dad so hearing about your cousins loss made me so sad :(
    I sure hope they don't lose their house{that's the last thing they need to worry about right now}. What a great idea about contacting an extreme makeover type show, you might even check into Habitat for Humanity~ maybe they could be helpful?? Good luck, AND what a lovely Blog you have{also Thank You for including my Chalkboard in your Etsy finds}.
    ♥Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Cerri: Thank you so much. Your generosity is so refreshing :) I don't know her address off-hand, but I will definitely get back to you on that. Again, thank you!

    @ Kristen: Oh dear I'm so sorry. The only thing we can do is believe that they're still with us here in spirit and that they're in a better place doing all of their favorite things, and that one day, we'll all be re-united again.
    And hopefully between the social security she'll get on the kids and selling some of his stuff she'll be able to hold on to it...but I don't know how long that money will tide her over. And yes, Habitat is a great idea. That was another one I had in mind. I was also thinking of starting a donation thing on Wish Upon A Hero to help her out. Then there's food stamps...ugh my head is swimming with things to do. I'm only 20, but I feel like it's the least I can do for my uncle to be taking care of his kids. Anyway, thank you so much for visiting and for your kind words. Have a pleasant day and may God bless you and your family!!

    ♥ Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Write me a message :)