Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

I ♥ flowers


"One flower at a time, please
however small the face,

Two flowers are one flower
too many, a distraction.

Three flowers in a vase
begin to be a little noisy.

Like cocktail conversation,
everybody talking.

A crowd of flowers is a
crowd of flatterers (forgive me)

One flower at a time,
I want to hear what it is saying."

- "Bouquets" by Robert Francis

I found this quote in another new book I bought - Style By Nature from Better Homes and Gardens. When I read it, I was thinking, "Hmmm, that's actually pretty true!" I'd much rather have some delphiniums sitting in a mason jar than a 5-flowered Publix bouquet in a vase (don't tell my father that though - he'd feel bad!). So, since I don't feel too good, I thought I'd continue with the flower theme and just post some pretty photos. Enjoy!


by Gabriella.Kai.Photography

by Yvette Inufio

by sapaho

from Blissful Images

Such pretty flowers! I wish they grew like that here in South Florida - ours are so yucky. Anyways, I have another book, called The House in Bloom by Judy Spours, and it's actually kinda cool. It has a ton of different color palettes based on different flowers, how are interiors try to capture the different nuances of a certain flower - whether it be through architecture, textiles, ceramics, or furnishings - and it explains the history behind different trends like chintz (which I love), victorian florals, different colors and their meaning, and more. It's very interesting and it has lots of inspirational photos. And, the best part? I got it for $5.99 at one of my favorite stores: Tuesday Morning. Does anyone else have that store near them? If not, do you have a favorite "best kept secret" type store?

Oh and just a little tip I learned a loooong time ago from a florist: If you are doing some type of an arrangement - whether it be one type of flower or less - always keep an odd number. Trust me, it works EVERY time. Even for other arrangements of different items. For some [ironic] reason, odd numbers keep things balanced. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write me a message :)